9 pips, no zips. It's been 6 hours.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kathyinmo, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Today is day 20. Yesterday I heard chirping. [​IMG] Shortly thereafter I had 1 pip. Then, I went to work [​IMG] .... When I got home I had a chick running around. [​IMG] Now with 9 pips for the past few HOURS, I wonder if there is a problem. [​IMG] Is it normal to have pips for that long, with no zips? [​IMG] What the heck ... did they go to sleep as soon as they pipped? [​IMG] I am afraid the pip hole will dry out, and they can't get out.

Can you tell .... this is my first time incubating. Up all night, lots of coffee, all alone here .... [​IMG] Help me out, PLEASE ... [​IMG]

This one little chick is screaming her lungs out. I think she is hungry, or lonely, or whatever .... she is chirping up a storm, and playing soccer with all the other eggs. [​IMG]

Really though, today is day 20, not 21. I can't leave her in there for days. Should I take her out? Is she just early, and the others are "on time?" [​IMG]

Please advise ...... [​IMG]

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Songster

Some do rest after pipping...it's hard work. PATIENCE, dear one. I have had mine take 24 hours after the first pip.

Congrats on your little ones!!!

[​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    She's just early, hang in there and do NOT open that 'bator!

Congratulations, sounds like you have a good hatch happening! [​IMG]

4. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    Yeah, don't open the bator! My last hatch, I had a bunch pip and stay that way for over 24 hours. They eventually zipped and hatched. I even had one of them that I didn't even see pip before I went to bed and woke up to that egg hatched and that was after those other ones have been pipped for a day without zipping. It does take patience which I am not good at. Those babies can be in there for 48 hours without any food or water. They will be ok. If you open the bator, your risking the other eggs with the humidity and temp dropping. Especially the humidity!

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Crowing

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Do not open that bator.. I think you have heard that before..

opening the bator will cause membranes to stick.. then you will have problems..

did one chick not hatch and is running around normally? then why don't you think the rest can do the same?

that chick can stay in the bator for a couple of days.. It's chirping will encourage the rest to hurry up and hatch..

that chick is not "screaming" her lungs out.. it is not hungry or lonely

You are the only one with any problem.. You are anxious..get away so that you cannot hear it..
    or else learn to ignore it..

6. kathyinmo

Thank you all, for your encouragement! I will NOT open the bator! I am sitting on my hands.

8 hours plus, from pip.... now I have 2 zippin' .... Boy, this is sure fun, but hard on the nerves!

7. dixiechick

dixiechick Songster

It IS hard on the nerves!!! Well said. It's a test of wills. I do much better when they start zipping in the evening hours, then I just go to bed....it's like Christmas in the morning!!!

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Crowing

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    here is something you should know about zipping..

the chick is working around the inside of the shell.. going around and around and pecking.. making the shell thinner and thinner.. that is why it looks like nothing is progressing.. it really is, but it is not visible.. when you finally see the zip, the work is complete..

the pip is just the air hole needed for the chick to breathe..

maybe this will help make your waiting easier.

9. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Songster

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Patience is a must at this critical stage of incubation. Ive felt your worry during this time also but if left alone most if not all zip out just fine. Its a workout for thie chicka's to make that pip and then zip that whole thing. Ive had it take 2 days.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  10. kathyinmo

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

THREE.... I have 3 new chickies ! [​IMG]

We're havin' fun now! YEEE HAWW

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: