9 week Ameraucanas - how do you tell roos from pullets?!!! [pics]

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by The Monkey Mama, Jul 1, 2008.

1. The Monkey Mama

The Monkey Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Kennesaw, GA
    Anybody want to help me out here?

I have 6 Ameraucana chicks who are 9 weeks old and a bunch of Black Australorp chicks who are also 9 weeks old. With the Australorps it is VERY easy to see who is a boy and who is a girl - huge difference in combs and the boys are starting to get their 'roo' feathers already.

With the Ameraucanas, I can't tell who is what!!! There is no difference in feathering yet and only slight differences in combs. Is there some trick to telling Ameraucanas boy from girl?

Here are the pics I tried to get - had a hard time getting good shots of their combs, but here is the best I could do. Anyone want to help me guess?

chicken one:
    [​IMG]

chicken two:
    [​IMG]

chicken three:
    [​IMG]

chicken four [our favorite, who I am afraid IS a roo!]:
    [​IMG]

chicken five:
    [​IMG]

chicken six:
    [​IMG]

And here is a pic of our 9 week Australorps just to compare -you can see how obvious they are!
    [​IMG]

Any help would be appreciated! We can't keep the roos because of where we live. [​IMG]

Kelly

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

roo
    pullet
    roo
    roo
    roo
    pullet

Those are my guesses [​IMG]

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Some of the pics are a little hard to tell but normally if they have a rose comb like pic #4 then Roo if they have a single comb like pic #2 then pullet.

But you can always get some that throw you a curve ball.

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Quote:That is my guess too.

5. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Those are my guesses too.

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

Quote:That is my guess too.

Thirded.

7. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] So sorry.

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Just to clarify: ameraucanas and most of your easter eggers, which yours seem to be, have pea combs. They do not have rose or single combs.

I agree that it looks like

roo
    pullet
    roo
    roo
    roo

And that last one is iffy. It appears to be older than the rest so I am going to call it pullet too, but am not 100% on that one.

The trick with them is experience. The males usually develop color in the combs first. Females generally have "skin" colored combs right up until they get ready to lay. The comb is more pronouced and a little bit bigger in male chicks.

Hope this helps.

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I also agree with the answers given. I can tell on my blacks when the boys combs get red first. If they are all the same age, the roos tend to be a bit bigger and bigger feet, but not always.

10. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I couldn't tell till mine crowed at 8 weeks. EE's are just hard. I have two 6 week olds now with single combs and a touch of pink in them. Everything else says pullet about them, but who knows. That's what I said about the crowing one too at 6 weeks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by