9 Week Old BR Roo???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LaurenM23, Aug 9, 2010.

1. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    I was out collecting tomatoes from the garden this morning and heard a distinct and clear (yet quiet) crow. [​IMG] I know that I sucked wind on that one! I am praying that it was just a sound echoing off the barn from the farm behind us, but honestly...I think that's just me wishing it away.

I'll attach photos this evening of the youngster in question, but at 9 1/2 weeks, would he be starting to test out his pipes? I had gotten a mixed run of BRs and ended up rehoming 4 out of 8. They had really started developing combs by week 5...about the same, if not larger than his comb is now...it has just started coming in, yet the others have hardly anything. Also, he is lighter than the others, suggesting roo, but with the slow comb development, I've been really confused by this one. [​IMG]

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I've had birds crow much younger than that! We need pics to be sure, though.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    My BR roos started at 6 weeks not very regular then, but now at 9 weeks one is crowing quite regular. Sound so cute not much of a crow more like a strangled screech.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If by 5 weeks there is any red in the comb and you see wattles, it's a rooster. Boys will be more white with black barring, girls will be more black with white barring.

And yes, a boy can start crowing much earlier than that. My first rooster started crowing a 4 days old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by