1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

9 week old chick wants to eat laying pellets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LesGan, Sep 4, 2009.

1. LesGan

LesGan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    One surviving 9 week old chick (I think a pullet) wants to eat the big hens' laying pellets even though I provide "feeding stations" of grower crumbles for the chick in the house and in the yard. The "Bigs" like to eat the grower crumbles that they can get to but there is enough for the baby. Is it dangerous for chick to eat the laying pellets? Thanks, Worried Chickie Momma

2. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    not as long as she gets it down ! :<)) She should be fine, they all seem to have their preferences.

3. BaronRenfrew

BaronRenfrew Chillin' With My Peeps

You're too cute. Don't worry about it. If it'll go down the pipe, they can eat it.

4. LesGan

LesGan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Columbiana, Alabama
    Thanks for your support responses. In case you couldn't tell :) I am new to this. Loving these feathered friends and wanting to do it right. Thanks again.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

my chicks have been eating 'big girl food' since they got out from under the lamp and joined the hens... they like it, and don't choke... just keep an eye on it until you're sure she isn't going to choke, then let her have at it!

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Choke, no. However layer feed is too high in calcium for growing chicks. This can potentially cause later issues, including kidney damage and even painful gout.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I wouldn't. A little probably won't hurt but not on a regular basis. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by