9 week old chickens dying

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by green0828, Nov 7, 2014.

1. green0828

green0828 New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    We have had 2 of our 4 nine weeks old chickens die in the last week. We put them outside around 6 weeks away from the rest of the flock. We found one dead in the coop a few days ago and another died today. What could be causing this? They have a small coop that has a thick layer of hay. The coop is in the garden so they have open access to what ever vegetables are left in the garden. My mother in law says that is plenty of food for them, but I'm wondering if they need layer food as well? We are new to raising chickens and are clearly not doing a very good job. We have older hens that were given to us and they are doing fine.

2. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Definitely NOT layer at 9 weeks. There's far too much calcium in layer feed and they can end up with severe organ damage that can be fatal. They need chick starter/grower at this age, plenty of fresh water and clean, dry bedding. If they're free ranging, they may have gotten into something toxic. The two that died, did they show any symptoms of illness prior to death?

3. green0828

green0828 New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    They didn't show any signs of illness or distress. In fact, the one that died today seemed just fine this morning. They were eating starter food until we put them in the garden, then they just free ranged. I can't think of anything in the garden that is toxic. It's all organic and just vegetables and a few strawberry plants and it was mainly just the greens leftover, maybe a squash or tomato here and there that we didn't get picked in time. It seemed as though they were getting enough food and always had clean fresh water.

4. islandgirl82

islandgirl82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2014
    Maine
    Where were they when they died?

5. green0828

green0828 New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    The first was in the coop and the other was on the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by