1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

9 week old chicks moving to the big coop? advice greatly appreciated!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kitchwitch, Nov 18, 2010.

1. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    I have 3 9 week old EE chicks. As of yesterday I had 4 and when I went out to check on them today much to my dismay something had broken into the top of their run and took one of the pullets.
    These chicks have been outside in the weather for the past 2 weeks and have experienced warm Indian summer days as well as frost producing nights. They've been outside on my covered porch since 3 weeks of age and have been without heat since week 5 (due to the warm fall we've had). For the 2 weeks they have been out "in the weather" they have been directly next to the "Big Girl's Run" so the my other 4 chickens can see them.

The 4 hens in the BGC are about 2 years old and currently going through molt.

Question is, although the 2 pullets and roo are just 9 weeks of age, could they go in the with big girls since they've been exposed to each other for the past 2 weeks?

I don't want to mix them too early, but at the same time, I don't want the predator to return for another meal.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. kitchwitch

kitchwitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pa
    Thanks so much for the link! I'm going to try to put the chick pen and their run in with the big girls. This should keep them safe from what I suspect is the neighbor's cat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by