9 week old EE chicks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bloom_ss, Aug 18, 2011.

1. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I posted a while back about having two possible roos and I was assured I have all girls. Today I went out to the coop like I always do and happened to notice that a few of the chicks are now getting a bit of iridescent green shimmer on their tail feathers. Can this happen with girls too or just the roos?? This has really got me worried since I really, really don't want to have to get rid of any of my chicks. [​IMG] Here are the pictures I took of them all today:

#1 The first one I originally thought might be a roo
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#2 The only one that I was sure was a girl (Brunhilda) but now she has a bit of green on her tail feathers so I am starting to wonder
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#3 The second one that I posted about before...she has the most green on her tail feathers right now (my favorite...her name is Friendly)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 Has a bit of green on the tail feathers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

#5 Also has a bit of green on the tail feathers
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All six chicks together:
    [​IMG]

If you need more pics of any of them I can try to get better ones. My camera doesn't seem to do so well with up close pictures and the chicks don't like holding still very well. lol

Thank you for your help!!

~Stephanie

2. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    My only opinion is, Very pretty and friendly looking birds! Hope someone helps you out

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    I'm thinking all hens

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    All 100% girls. Roosters can't have that color patterning. [​IMG]

5. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Every single one is a pullet! [​IMG]

6. bloom_ss

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Yay! I am glad to hear that you still think they are all girls...I was really hoping so! What about the green shimmer on the tail feathers though? The feathers look blackish grey, but in the sunlight they shine bright green on several of these chicks. I thought that roosters were the pretty colorful ones with the fancy tail feathers? Or does that not count for EEs since they are mixed breeds?

~Stephanie

7. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:x2

Try googling pictures of Australorp hens. Their feathers are greenish purplish in the sun and all pretty, but they're still hens! [​IMG]

8. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    all girls

9. bloom_ss

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Quote:x2

Try googling pictures of Australorp hens. Their feathers are greenish purplish in the sun and all pretty, but they're still hens! [​IMG]

Hmm...they must have some Australorp in them then! [​IMG] Cool! Thanks everyone!! [​IMG]

10. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    All nice looking girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by