1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

9 week old EE rooster already trying to mate, is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JodiLynn, Sep 29, 2012.

1. JodiLynn

JodiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    My 9 week old EE rooster recently started trying to crow (really bad at it) and now he is grabbing the other chicks by the back of the neck and trying to mate with them! I have a couple of Yokohama's in with these guys and I am afraid they may hurt them, should I separate them? Does this mean that this rooster will be aggressive or is he just an early bird? We recently got rid of an aggressive rooster and I do not want another.

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Thats what roosters do! If you Dont want to breed, seperate him. As long youre nice to the rooster, NO teasing, he will be alright, BUT as long hes around the hens, He may attack , hes only trying to protect them.

3. chickenlover89

chickenlover89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    x2, it may be early, but he is probably an early maturing bird.

4. JodiLynn

JodiLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    Thats what I got him for, fertilzed eggs and to protect my hens. I have found no better waterdog than a good rooster. I had a BO that was amazing and very respectful to all people but I had a polish get extremely aggressive towards all people and he was never teased to my knowledge as it only me and the DH. Although that fact that he could not see well because of his tophat may have contributed to the aggressiveness. Tobias (EE roo) actually found a bug and called over the young pullets to share, we were so proud.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by