1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

9 week old EEs--what gender? Pic heavy!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Appaloosa Hill Farm, May 8, 2009.

1. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Alrighty, gender guessers, here's one for ya! We picked up 8 EEs from our feed store. Supposedly all pullets. They're now 9 weeks old and I'm thinking three of our pullets are cockerels. What do you think?

This is Sundown.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is Cricket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The two of them together.
    [​IMG]

This is Mojo. This is the only pic I could get of him/her. Camera shy.
    [​IMG]

Well, whadda ya think?[​IMG]

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Hmmmm
    Roo
    Roo?
    Hen
    Roo
    Roo
    Roo
    Roo?
    Hen.

I think I got them all covered. Lots of red in those combs

3. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Quote:The first 3 pics are the same bird, the next three are all pics of a second bird, the next pic is the two together and then the very last is yet another bird. Sooooo, ya think bird #1 is a roo, bird #2 is a roo and bird #3 is a hen?

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I think the first 2 are definitely pullets...3rd one could be a roo, but I can't tell from that far away. An EE roo's comb will have 3 lines of the comb instead of just one. This is a side shot, but maybe it will help:

[​IMG]

5. ZZsBabiez

ZZsBabiez Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Central California
    First two Roos.. Last pic Hen I'm no good unless I can see it close.. going by color..

The one with the head turned in the last pic looks hen to me..

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  6. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    Quote:Well, that would certainly make us all happy here! [​IMG] We just love the first two birds, they're super friendly and are quite a couple of characters. They do have combs that are just alike, but are very different from the 3rd bird's comb. #3's comb is definitely wider than birds #1 and #2. The combs on all three birds are very red, which is what's throwing me for a loop. I've heard EEs are difficult to sex and I believe it![​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I bought 6 EE pullets. One is pretty clearly a roo, both by behavior and by having 3 clear rows to his comb. The rest all look like pullets. The 3 rows is clearer than the color to me. Mine are 11 weeks. To me your pics look like pullets, but then I can't tell whether they all have the 3 clear rows.

8. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Pullet
    Roo (tail)
    Pullet (comb)

9. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    okay...wait a minute. a single comb means pullet??? I have been told this fella/pullet is a roo. Is he/she a pullet or roo?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The first two are cockerels and the third looks like a pullet, but can't be for sure since she is so far away in the picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by