9 week old hen not walking & making weird beak movements

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Annalysia89, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Annalysia89

Annalysia89 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    My 9 week old hen Violet has not walked in a week and a half. Two days before she stopped walking the other girls had pecked at her feet, one foot worse than the other. We put some blue food coloring on the red areas to stop the pecking. The following day she was limping, then the next day she had completely stopped walking. I checked her feet and legs for anything out of the ordinary but there is nothing wrong with her. Comb is starting to get slightly pail compared to what is was and she has lost tons of weight. It looks like she has a scab (dark colored due to the food coloring) on her foot where they had pecked at her. I put apple cider vinegar in the water and cinnamon, garlic & oregano in the food to help boost her immune system. I have no idea what is wrong with her and would really appreciate some help in figuring it out.

2. Annalysia89

Annalysia89 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Kristen5894

Kristen5894 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Wildomar
    I am so new to all of this but she looks like my hen did when she got sick witth Mareks. The legs stop working and the fall over. Make sure she is quarantined. Give her Electrolytes in the water . I pray that it's not what we went through. Hang in there and keep us posted.

4. Annalysia89

Annalysia89 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    We are worried that is what it might be as well, but she only has the symptom of not walking. Eyes are normal, none of my other hens are sick either. My gut tells me there is something going on with that one foot. I have been debating giving her a bath. Maybe it would help? I'm new to whole having chickens thing, so i'm not really sure what I should or shouldn't be doing for her.

5. Annalysia89

Annalysia89 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    The past two days she has been trying to stand up when I put her on the floor of the shed to clean her poop out. She will put a good amount of weight on her one leg but not on the other. The scab that is on her foot (the blue one in the picture above) is half gone now and maybe I'm crazy but it seems like she's a little more lively than she has been. Could her scab be keeping her from walking?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! :)

6. Kristen5894

Kristen5894 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Wildomar
    Did you research bumble foot?

7. Annalysia89

Annalysia89 New Egg

Jun 15, 2016
    Yes I did. It's not bumble foot. This morning she stood completely up like normal her hurt leg was just shaking a lot. Then she took a few wobbly steps. Seems like great progress? I'm being hopeful. :D

8. Kristen5894

Kristen5894 Just Hatched

Jun 14, 2016
    Wildomar
    Great news!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by