9 Week Old Newbie in CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DOnSoCalOC, Jul 14, 2011.

1. DOnSoCalOC

DOnSoCalOC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    [​IMG] Hello Everyone!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    Okay, so here we are, 9 weeks into the game. We obtained our peeps on May 14, 2011.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    We have 6 peeps. I lost 2 of my original little flock and replaced them.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    We have a Partridge Rock, "K"atherine and she belongs to my youngest son. Then we have an Easter Egger, "Illaine" that belongs to my daughter. My older son has "Missy 2" a Golden Laced Wyandotte. My hubby has "Maria" a Barred Rock. I am the special one so I get to have 2, which would be "Peep" Light Brahma and "Penny 2" Black Jersey Giant. Penny and Missy are 2's because they are the ones that I had to replace. I originally went for sex-links, saw these guys and picked each one. I wanted a different one for each of us. I get 2 because everyone else has an indoor cat and I don't.[​IMG]

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    After learning about the quality of eggs on the market I searched for the best eggs to purchase. They are about $5 for a half doz! So I did more searching and the best I found was a Grade 3 Eggs (according to a scale I found online for Organic eggs), so we started to purchase those. BUT I wanted the best, so I started to look into having chickens and I came across BYC about 2 years ago. I would just come in and peruse the Breeds, then the Coops and branched off from there. So after a couple of years of pillaging through BYC, we finally got our first little flock. Now we are encouraged to move away from here and purchase a large property where we can have more than just chickens!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    We have been a home education family for 8 years, going on number 9, so I don't have much time for hobbies. I do enjoy crocheting and making "Diaper Cakes" for baby showers.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I am mother to 5; 2 off with their own families (yes I am also a G-ma) 3 still at home, 1 of which just graduated High School. We have 4 indoor only cats. My greatest joy is hiking. I love to hike in the woods, especially in Yosemite. I am very grateful to all of the information and camaraderie I have found here in BYC. I hope one day that I too will become wizened enough to offer others valuable information also.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

4. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]

6. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello [​IMG]

7. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    [​IMG] Welcome!

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    Welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by