9 week old pekin.... what gender (pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by happyhens44, Jun 14, 2010.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Ok, I have 2 pekins. At this point I pretty sure there the same gender, I don't know which gender though. They both don't honk yet, but to me they have the hens tail feathers... I don't know which, is which... but I doesnt matter they look and sound exactly the same.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    sorry double pic

[​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Sorry to say...But if they arent making the loud quack by this age they are more likely males that have not yet grown the curl in their tails. Very nice looking ducks though...

4. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

oh Great. my ducks are about this age, and 2 of the 4 dont have a loud quack. I hope they are just slow in getting a quack, as i dont want any drakes

5. PlumTuckered

PlumTuckered Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2007
    Arkansas
    My Pekin Gals all had a quack by 8 weeks, one's quack was softer than the other's but it was indeed a quack and not a rasp.

Michelle

6. Jeeper1540

for the last few weeks, mine has just been kinda like a 'huff' and now it is starting to get a little noise in it. i really hope its not a male [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Quote:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  7. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    i dont mind males except it looks like a have 3 males annd only one female I see problums coming in the future [​IMG]

8. Jeeper1540

is 2 females and 2 males ok, or is that not enough females? i really dont want to get more ducks, but i also dont want to get rid of one of my drakes. i've had my ducks too long to get rid of them now! (about 10 weeks) lol

9. Jeeper1540

anyone know? ^

10. maralynn28

maralynn28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Quote:I hear the recommended ratio is 1 drake: 3 hens so they don't get too much attention. I'm sure it depends on the duck, and maybe someone has been able to maintain the 1:1 ratio you have, but from what I hear it sounds like you need more hens or fewer drakes. [​IMG] If it were me (I understand your position), I would resist getting rid of my 'babies' and I def can't have more so I would wait it out and watch them to see if they are bothering the girls too much. Chances are they will, but you never really know unless you give it a try? I've never had drake so all I can offer is a guess/uneducated opinion. [​IMG]
    Hope all goes well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by