9 week old pullets sound like a DUCK!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chuckzoo, Jun 30, 2010.

1. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    My two beautiful Buff Rocks are starting to sound like ducks, especially the one. They are now 9 weeks old. It sounds almost like she has a sore throat. Is this just a phase? Will their voices change?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    They are probably just getting their big girl voices [​IMG] usually they peep a lot still, then they will start making their new noises and eventually stop peeping. I got a silkie that started making new noises very fast and stopped peeping quick, it sounds so cute lol.

3. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Songster

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    This is one of my favorite stages they go through while maturing. Especially if you have a few dozen them together and only one starts honking at first. The rest of them look at it as if it's lost it's mind. Entertainment at it's best!

4. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Songster

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    Mine were doing this also but I thought it was because they was hanging out with the ducks to much lol

5. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I think it's quite sweet but my husband doesn't like the sound!

The one is a real talker. She even talks while she is eating. I hope these are sounds of contentment!

6. juliawitt

juliawitt Songster

Aug 9, 2009
    My original girls were Dominiques and silver and gold Wyandottes. They all sound just like chickens, as they should. This spring we got 4 Orpingtons to replace losses. I swear they honk like geese. Honk Honk!! They have been doing it since they were 8 weeks old and they are 17 weeks now. Had my first itty bitty egg today, and no egg song, but I did hear the highest pitched HONK yet....Orps are very entertaining.

7. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I wonder if my two Buff Rocks are not mixed with Orphington! They are also honking. How did they get that color into Rocks anyway? I love they way they look and they have bright yellow legs and feet.

Congrats on your first egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by