9 WEEK old roosters fighting

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Honey_Silvas, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Honey_Silvas

Honey_Silvas Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Kyle, TX
    I have 9 week old d'uccles. Yesterday several of the little roos kept fighting. They weren't just chest bumping, they drew blood. A couple of combs were bleeding and you could see where they were pecking each other around the eyes! I tried removing the one that I thought was instigating the fights, but then another one would take over. I kept separating them and scolding them and eventually they settled down and stopped. Do they usually start fighting this young? They are a little small to start eating them.

2. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    I have little bantam roos about the same age. They had quite a smack down a week ago, one "won" the fight and now all is peaceful. The other little boys have been put in their place.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Comb blood is no big deal. Let them fight it out now before they can do bad damage. Once they figure out who is who, they'll settle down. I avoid getting involved as I find it just makes quarrels last longer and start over.

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I recommend not separating or interfering. Rank definement was underway and yes they get a little dinged up but social structure / pecking order established as a result will limit future scraps. Separating and re-introducing prolongs scraps.

5. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Quote:I learned that as well, let 'em fight it out

6. Honey_Silvas

Honey_Silvas Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2011
    Kyle, TX
    Thanks, It was just such a shock for them to suddenly be fighting. I'll leave them to it if they start again. I felt really bad when I saw one little guy hiding under a door to keep from getting pecked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by