9 week old Rouens - 1 each male and female? oh please oh please?

Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
Aledo, TX
We're down to 2 thanks to some (@&$(*@#%) raccoons. I am hoping they at lease left us 1 each.

64313_dsc08589.jpg

Those both look like hens to me. But I have VERY little experience, so don't quote me. How old are they?

Edited: Never-mind. 9 weeks old. Duh. But they still look female...

Last edited:
One of them does look like a male to me, his bill seems to be getting yellow in the photo you posted. I'm pretty sure the other one is a female.

Do the quack test. Grab each one and listen to what comes out. The boy will have a sore throat sound, while the girl will be a very loud quack. The male plumage doesn't show until the first molt, so they look a like while young. The bill color can be an indicator.

OK, the results of the "Quack Test":

The one in the back with the whiter butt feathers clears his throat like a phlegmy grandpa.

The one in front with the lovely yellow eyebrows goes "WAKK WAKK WAKK WAKK WAKK WAKK!!!!!"

(At least I think that was the order I tested in. It was dark.)

But, either way, YAY one each. Happy Dance Happy Dance.
wee.gif

Last edited:
You have one drake one hen . The drake has a green bill , the hen has a brown or tan bill . Your drake should be changing color soon . Mine are 5 months old now and have gotten thier adult plumage . The first difference you will notice , the bright green feathers on the head , and the grey striped feathers on the breast of the drake . The hen stays the same color .

As others are saying you have one drake, and one hen! Mallards develope the same way as Rouens ( I think?) And our drakes got their green and such after about 12-14 weeks...

Just looking at the photo, male in back, female in front--I have a pair of rouens and I'm pretty much sure of it! Quack test results just confirm what I already thought. Congrats!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom