9 week old speckled susex...she or he?

chickenjenn

Chirping
5 Years
May 13, 2015

Thoughts on gender? This is the leader of our 3 chicks and has been since day 1. She can be aggressive about food and is starting to make a "crow" (but my year old anacona hen does a great crow). She has a lot of characteristic of a roo: white on her chest, the green in tail feathers (but not real stubby, slow growing tail feathers), and quite a comb and wattles (but some of my other girls do too). This is my second attempt at a sussex hen...here's hoping I don't have to give her up (we can't have roos here).

Thoughts on gender? This is the leader of our 3 chicks and has been since day 1. She can be aggressive about food and is starting to make a "crow" (but my year old anacona hen does a great crow). She has a lot of characteristic of a roo: white on her chest, the green in tail feathers (but not real stubby, slow growing tail feathers), and quite a comb and wattles (but some of my other girls do too). This is my second attempt at a sussex hen...here's hoping I don't have to give her up (we can't have roos here).

This is a young Male.

My Anacona is definitely a hen. She lays big, beautiful eggs almost daily
smile.png

That's good to know. :eek:) Crowing does happen with hens, but it's not as common as some people would lead you to believe and almost always when it does occur, it's an older hen who has assumed the role of the rooster in a roosterless flock. Also, chicken owners sometimes mistake the egg song of the hen for crowing.

Back
Top Bottom