9 week old Wellsummers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by suzndannie, Feb 28, 2017.

1. suzndannie

suzndannie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    So one of our two 9-week-old Wellsummers seems obviously to be female. The 2nd one however...! Thank you in advance for any feedback. This is the first time we've ever had this breed, so we're struggling a bit... The size differential between the 2 isn't as stark as it appears to be in the first pic, however.. When we first got them the 2nd chick had practically no tail feathers. Gradually, they outgrew hers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You have a rooster and a pullet, they feather out differently, and do not look the same as adults.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree you have a pair, one male and one female.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    cockerel and a pullet

5. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Yep, one of each, hope that is what you wanted.

6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

7. suzndannie

suzndannie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    What would I ever do w/o the smart, kind BYC people?! Thank you, everyone, so much!! I thought as much, but needed verification. I also remember someone on BYC saying that all of their chicks (of any breed) that turned out to be male developed tail feathers more slowly than their female counterparts. This cockerel had nearly NO tail feathers for quite some time. We took him back to the hatchery a week or so ago, but they wouldn't say that he's definitively male & for us to wait for this chick to "man up." I guess he's done just that in a few short days. [​IMG]

Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by