9 week olds can we tell what we are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by horseyjess, Nov 4, 2009.

1. horseyjess

horseyjess Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Ok so I am running out of time I have a few that I need to identify the sex of and one that i am putting here not 100% on breed. We purchaced the special assorted package from McMurray. I have to select a few to check in for the kids 4-H So I need the breeds that will mature but also for the entry need the sex. So we go I am thinking you guys are good enough that at 9 weeks for these can tell if I am right in my GUESSES... ( I have more will go take pics in a few and do another post PLEASE HELP)

This is the cochin(no name yet) I am guessing and I am not sure sex wise but I am leaning to Roo [​IMG]... I know it cant be used cause it wont be mature enough just want to know what it is for sure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is the one that has me stumpted one day I think boy one day girl. Today I am leaning at Roo but two days ago I thought Ricky is a girl. I am thinking that it is a Light Brahma would that be correct?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    This is a guess, and only a mildly educated one at that, but I think the cochin is a roo, because of the feathers shape.

The other one I think is a hen, for the same reason.

3. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Anyone???

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I"m not 100% sure, but they both like girls to me - your brahma has a light pink comb & no wattles. I don't have much experience with cochins, but my little 5 week old frizzle (cochin) already has a larger comb & wattles than your 9 week old. Does your cochin have a straight comb? - it almost looks like a pea comb in the photo.

This is my light brahma cockerel at 9 weeks of age (notice the wattles & the comb)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:So you think for sure that Ricky is a Brahma? YEAH that is what I am hoping for I just remember seeing another breed that looks similar to them. Also the Cochin has a straight comb it does look a little pea like in that picture but it is straight. I can only hope its a girl [​IMG]

6. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I can't see Ricky's legs very well, but if they are feathered, I would say she is definitely a light brahma.

7. ArizonaDesertChicks

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Just went out and took a picture of my little 5 1/2 week old frizzle cochin - I'm assuming it's a boy because it is already getting wattles and the comb looks large to me - you can see how much larger its comb is at 5 1/2 weeks compared to your 9 week old cochin (not that I'm 100% sure on the sex of your cochin, but I think it could be a pullet?)

[​IMG]

8. horseyjess

Sep 2, 2009
    SW Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] this house is begining to have WAY to much Testosterone!! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by