9 week partridge frizzled silkies, gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rcstanley, Oct 30, 2015.

1. rcstanley

rcstanley Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    Utah County, Utah
    I have two "silkies" I am trying to sex. They are 9 weeks old. They were chipmunk looking chicks, so my understanding is they are partridge and someone who knows what they are doing (not me) should be able to sex by color. Any guesses on gender? The first one is a frizzle:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second one is a smooth silkie, also partridge:

[​IMG]
    When I asked before, people said the second one was probably female. Does this still look to be true?
    Edited to add: I put partridge, but I think I meant duckling.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Silkies are very hard to sex, but I am thinking that both are pullets. For sure, I think the second one is.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Even for people who know what they are doing, 9 weeks is way too young.

4. rcstanley

Aug 2, 2013
    Utah County, Utah
    Why? (genuinely curious) Is it because the feathers for the male/female color patterns would not be grown in yet?

I know in general for silkies, 9 weeks is too young. My understanding was with partridge there were color patterns that were male and some that were female, so if you had one of those color patterns you would know gender.

5. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Bird #1 is a Sizzle. Basically a Silkie with a different feather type, but the correct name is Sizzle. It's not Partridge, I wouldn't say its any specific color. Nothing is screaming cockerel.

Bird #2 is probably a Silkie mix. May have Partridge Silkie in it but the color is not Partridge. Mixed color. Looks like a pullet, it's flat feathered so if it isn't growing cockerel feathers within the next 3 weeks or so it's definitely a pullet.

That's basically correct. 9 weeks I wouldn't say is way too young for a flat feathered bird like your #2 pullet, but for Frizzles, Sizzles, and Silkies, it is - even for a real Partridge bird, patterns don't clear up until 15, 16 weeks at least, and they're still more muddled in Sizzles/Silkies than any other breed.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    They all look like pullets at this point.

7. rcstanley

Aug 2, 2013
    Utah County, Utah

Thank you for your clear explanation.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by