9 week Silkie...gender???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PinkCoopDeVille, Jan 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PinkCoopDeVille

PinkCoopDeVille Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    North Georgia
    I have two 9 week old silkies still in the brooder (it's still very cold here). We have an inkling that one may be a roo and we can't have roos where we live at the moment (will be moving to a more chicken/roo friendly area in the next year). The predicament I have is that I just can't put the other silkie in with our older girls because I have a feeling she will be picked on but the lady we buy our chicks from doesn't have anymore in the same age range as our chicks. Any suggestions? We thought we might sell the silkies as a pair if it ends up being a rooster but also thought if we could find another chick at the same age we might introduce her to the babies and have them both go in the big girl coop together. My problem is them getting picked on/not liking each other. Lots of questions, I know but I'm a worried chicken mom lol!

2. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Well at 9 weeks, it may be a bit difficult to tell the gender on a silkie. They are notoriously difficult to sex at a young age. You can post a picture in the "what breed or gender is this" section and give it a go, though.
    For introducing your younger babies, the best way to do it, is to build a temporary pen. You can even use a large dog kennel (the kind you can see into at every angle) and put them in there for a little bit at a time every day. I had a small "grow out" pen that I out all my younger chickens in before integrating them into the flock. It was part of the run and had its own shelter, but it was separated by chicken wire so they could all see each other, but no one could hurt or touch each other. A good rule of thumb is to introduce like sizes. Once they're relatively the same size as the older ones, it's a lot easier to introduce them after they've been able to see each other for a while. Monitor their interactions and if someone starts to play too rough (drawing blood or pulling a lot of feathers) remove the bully for a couple days to knock them down a few notches. There will be small disagreements in the beginning but they're just establishing the pecking order and if you allow them to see but no touch for a while before, it usually goes a lot smoother.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by