1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

9 weeks old eating layer and year olds eating starter feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lori925, Aug 12, 2014.

1. lori925

lori925 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2013
    Jackson, Maine
    Our girls are free-ranging. The year olds have full run of about 5 acres. The nine week olds have full run of a fenced in corral, although they started escaping out of their fenced area just this week.

I have read that the little girls need to continue with the starter feed until they begin laying. Since they have learned how to escape, they have decided that they want to eat the big girls layer feed.

My questions have to do with feed:
    1) Is it correct that the little girls need to eat the starter feed until they begin to lay?
    2) I have heard that the big girls can eat the started feed but we should give extra calcium - is that correct?

Thank you in advance.
    Lori

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Ya, you don't want young birds eating Layer because of the high calcium levels. Most people with mixed age flocks feed either an All Ages / Flock Raiser or Starter type food and have oyster shell available on the side for the layers.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto...makes thing much simpler!

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 -