9 weeks til I'm hangin with my peeps!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mammahen71, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Mammahen71

Mammahen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Duanesburg, NY
    Hello all! I have been reading posts on BYC for 3 months now, and finally convinced the hubby to go forward with chickens on the homestead. We have 2 acres, and we are starting with 9 hens. Due to arrive the week of April 8th! I can't wait to be hangin with my peeps... We ordered 3 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Barred Plymouth Rocks, and 3 Easter Eggers.

My big question is... To insulate the coop, or not to insulate the coop? I am in upstate NY (Schenectady/Albany)... What do you think?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, MotherFlocker, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us and that BYC was helpful in your research! To insulate or not is a hot (pardon the pun) topic on BYC. More important than insulation is a well constructed and draft free coop. Chickens generate a lot of heat and with the 9 you will have in the coop, it will be warm enough without insulation. Below is an exhaustive thread on the subject - lots of reading! Good luck to you!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/421122/think-its-too-cold-for-your-chickens-think-again

1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great resources and advice from redsoxs. Welcome to BYC.

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

5. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio...so glad you joined BYC

9. Mammahen71

Mammahen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2013
    Duanesburg, NY
    Thanks, redsoxs! That was very helpful. And thanks, everyone, for the "warm" welcome. (All puns intended.) :p

My husband is a contractor, so I am trying to convince him that this is a CHICKEN COOP, not a "people coop," so he doesn't have to follow all the human building requirements as far as insulation and being "air tight." Convincing him about the ventilation needs of a chicken coop has him looking at me funny. I might have to grab the hammer and thunk him on the head a little.

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    You are welcome. With regards to the coop being "airtight" be careful! Chicken poop is high in methane and while you don't want a draft, ventilation is necessary - even in winter. Usually the tiniest cracks or holes from the (often recycled) materials used to construct the coop serve the purpose of giving the coop adequate ventilation and a means for the foul (or is that fowl [​IMG]) air to escape!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by