9 wk old mystery chick from MMM ( pic heavy)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RobinEgg, Jun 12, 2008.

1. RobinEgg

RobinEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    well we thought he was an EE when he was little but we're not so sure about that now, he looks like a mutt but surely MMM doesn't include them as mystery chicks. Any thoughts as to what he is?
    he really didn't want his pic taken.
    his legs are yellow and he doesn't have fuzzy cheeks. I ordered from MMM EE pullet and roos and he doesn't look like them at all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Hmmmmm I really have no idea and his could be a strech if he is no and EE maybe MMH's poor atempt at a BLRW or Blue Laced Red Wyndotte.

Henry

3. smith2

smith2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2008
    Paris, TN
    He looks like one of my BLRW roosters from MMM. MMM BLRW are awful in color but they are decent layers. They are just not the "real" thing.

4. RobinEgg

Feb 21, 2008
    thanks for the answers, I had seen a cornish on feathersite that was of MMM hatchery stock and it resembled mine, esp as he has a long neck, had not even considered the wyandotte breed as a possibility. I wasn't ordering show chickens I knew that just wanted some birds for meat and eggs . Looking at the pic of the chick in the MMM catalog he didn't look at all like the one they pictured as BLRW, were your chicks striped , this one was striped like my EE , hence my first thought as that was what he was.

5. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    MMM? Which hatchery is that? I'm sure that's a dumb question but I'm not familiar with it, unless it is another abbreviation for Murray McMurray. I guess it has three M's in it...

6. RobinEgg

Feb 21, 2008
    yep it's meant to be Murray McMurray

7. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I think he is blrw X ee.

His comb looks like a combo of pea and rose. He does have ever so slight muffs, you can see in the third picture.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  8. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    Thank you for clarifying.

Well they should be ashamed if that is what they are selling as Blue-laced Red Wyandottes. It isn't even built like a Wyandotte. My birds were way prettier than that.

9. RobinEgg

Feb 21, 2008
    I would hope that hatcheries dont sell crossed birds as they advertise pure breeds. The 3rd pic makes him look like he has slight muff but just the angle of the shot , no muff. No he doesn't have the build of a wyandotte at all, thats why I never considered it when trying to guess what he is. He is the mystery chick sent for free from Murray Mcmurray, so his breed doesn't really matter as I didn't choose or pay for it, the mystery hicks is supposed to come from their rare breed selection.

10. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, it looks like the "blue laced wy" to me...??? I went to their website then to the "rare breed" drop down & looked at all of their pics...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by