9 wk old Silkie injury :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GratefulGreens, Jul 12, 2010.

1. GratefulGreens

GratefulGreens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Yesterday, I had my two 9 week old Silkies on my deck while my husband was working on their coop. I had the entrance to the deck blocked off, by somehow, my dog (as Shih-Tsu) got in and chased on of my chickens off of the deck and out into the woods. When we found her we THOUGHT she was fine, however, today she is holding one of her legs up and really not moving around a whole lot. He must have hurt her (obviously), but I'm so thankful he didn't kill her. He's not a mean or vicious dog, just overly playful and doesn't know that he can't play w/ our chickens! So, my question is, should I take my poor chicken to the vet?? Do I just let it heal on it's own?? I really can't imagine what they would do for her...she IS moving around a little, but pretty much just hanging out in the chicken house..... Thanks!!

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    You COULD take her to the vet, though not many specialize in chickens.

Chances are that either she has been bitten or that the joint is somehow pulled/strained. If she's been bitten, you may want to think about an antibiotic. If you can find bite marks, you can try a topical (neosporin or blu kote). You can also try putting some antibiotic in her water. They usually sell a selection of a few at feed stores. If she has a strain/sprain, etc., then she just needs rest.

Either way, I would definitely get her some supplemental vitamins. I use a powdered vitamin that I put in the drinking water (with antibiotics if needed). A lot of people on BYC also use Poly-Vi-Sol without iron. Feeding her scrambled egg may also help. Keep her warm, with plenty of feed and water, and hope for the best!

Let us know how she fares!

3. GratefulGreens

GratefulGreens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Thanks! That all totally makes sense! I've got her in a new coop and she was at the back of her house (a repurposed - but new - dog house) and I couldn't reach her to give her a good look-over. I'll get a better look at her tomorrow. Where do you get the powdered vitamin? Like at TSC? We've got the Poly-Vi-Sol, but..I *think* it has iron in it....

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Your hen may be very fearful for a few weeks as was a hen of mine after she ended up with an injury. She may well want to stay in the coop (or, in our house as was the case with our hen). She will need a bit of time to start behaving normally.
    Our hen has laid her eggs in the dog bed ever since (our dog is a safe heaven and was not the cause of her original injury), but expect that she may much prefer your company to her hen mates for the time being.

Good luck,

sandie

5. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by