9 year old duck has loose feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stella&DorisDuck, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Stella&DorisDuck

Stella&DorisDuck New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    Stella, my 9 year old Mallard mix, has had loose feathers for well over month or so. She's NOT molting, but losing a fair # of pin feathers and larger feathers this week, probably about 10 to 15 feathers a day, maybe more. It's enough to be noticeable in the yard. Doris, her younger friend, seems fine. I thought it might be lice (I've never had to treat my ducks), so I got some dust and did both ducks even though there were no signs of lice or eggs on either. Stella seems to be eating a bit less too and is pickier about her food. I started some ACV yesterday. Does anyone have any ideas? Are there any safe vitamin supplements for ducks? Thanks for any ideas.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Sounds like Stella has had a great life!! 9 years is a good effort for a duck- it may just be that she is aging- and now needs a bit more of a hand with her nutritional needs. There are multivitamins available that are safe with poultry. You should be able to get something where you buy your feed.

3. Stella&DorisDuck

Stella&DorisDuck New Egg

Apr 5, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I lost a 15 year old Blue Swedish about a month ago. I don't want to lose Stella too. I'll look at the feed store for vitamins, but nothing is ever printed about dosages for ducks, and I don't want to OD her on something. I'll see what I can find. I've just never had this problem before, and it's baffling me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by