90% accuracy?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nichole77, May 8, 2008.

1. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    So if sexed chicks are only 90% does that mean that some roos will be hens as well. I know its just wishful t all the easter chicks from ideal are supposed to be white leghorn roos. I didn't know this at the time but I tried to get a female. Wishful thinking!?!?!

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    I have no personal experience with buying all males, but I think the chances of getting a female would be slim, but not impossible. Good Luck!

3. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    What the hatchery is saying is that they only guarantee a 90 or 95% accuracy on sexing their chicks. Some breeds they don't sex at all (like Silkies and Guineas) and some they are absolute on because they are sexed by color (auto sexed) at birth.

So, if you order 100 pullets, you will likely end up with 90 some pullets and a few roos.

And yes, you could realistically order all roos and end up with some pullets.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

yes, that 90% accuracy thing is a bit of a crap shoot. I got 6 Buff Orpingtons and 2 Barred Rocks. Out of 8 supposedly all pullets I got one BO cockerel and 1 BR cockerel. I already had a HUGE RIR roo and 1 SLW roo, so I'm hoping they all get along once the young ones are big enough to introduce to the older ones and the 3 guineas. So far the RIR roo is VERY interested (in a GOOD way!) in the chicks; he'll go over and cluck to them, scratch on the ground near the small "daytime excursion" pen I put them out in a few hrs. at a time and uncover a bug or something interesting for them and "talk" to them about it. He has a strange (and very difficult to describe) sound that he makes for them, almost like he's crooning to them. I think he's going to be a very good watchful Alpha roo for the youngsters as well as his little group he has now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by