90 degrees to hot for 2 week old chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenniferlamar70, Jun 27, 2016.

1. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    My chicks are 2 weeks old and panting when I turn their light on. I turned it off so they just have our regular heat, about 90 degrees and they are still panting. I just turned on the air conditioner since we ate keeping them in the utility room. Worried they will get to cold but with the panting I don't want them to hot.. suggestions welcome? :)

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    If they are breathing with their mouths open they are indeed too hot. If the room cools off, though, you may need to turn the light back on.

How big is the brooder? Do they have plenty of room to move away from the heat source if they get too warm?
    What wattage is the bulb? You may need to switch to a lower watt bulb.
    Do you have a thermometer at chick level?

3. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    I'm using a 250 watt red bulb. It's the same one I've been using. The chicks were outgrowing their little brooder so I moved them to a bigger brooder. It's a huge extra large dog crate. The light is higher then it was in their smaller brooder. The light has been off now for about an hour and some are still panting.. :(

4. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    If its too cold, they will peep like crazy and let you know. 90 degrees may be too hot. 95 first week, 90 second week and 5 degrees less each week is the rule but sometimes you have to go by observation. I had my heat lamp on a 2x2 post and I could adjust the height higher and lower to get the right temp. Mybe they will like 87 degrees more. I would go cooler and let them tell you if they need more heat.
    Caroline

5. AnnaK13

AnnaK13 Just Hatched

Jun 13, 2016
    I've found that using a heating blanket is just as handy! If you are wanting to try something different, get a shoe box and cut off one of the longest sides, so it makes like a little hut, then place the pad beneath a towel and under the box. It works well for me! :) I don't know too much about brooding lamps, but my guess would be that just like when you're hatching eggs, cooler than preferred is the lesser of the two evils. With a heating pad, that way they can hop off if they need to. :D

6. mamatink7

mamatink7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2016
    Ohio
    way to hot, move brooder farther from light to help. Place a clamp fan nearby this helps out 8wk old chicks. The 5 wk Olds are still wanting their heat lamp on (I move it away they go right to it and I turn it off, they don't eat or drinks). You can put ice cubes in waterer which will keep it cooler longer.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  7. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Thanks. I think they are starting to cool down. I turned the light off. Set the air conditioner to 85 degrees. The thermostat says 90. They are all laying down spread out in the pen now. Not piled on each other like when they are cold. A fee are still panting but it's that's all that's left. Hopefully once the air conditioner reaches 85 they will be good. Thanks everyone.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by