90-minute car ride questions

LittleChocobo

Chirping
9 Years
May 31, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon
So I'm going to get chicks on Thursday, and I'm a bit worried about the car ride. It's an hour and a half from the breeder to my house, and I'm already planning on bringing them a small dish of watermelon so they have something to eat (and we used to take it on cross-country trail rides to keep the horses hydrated, so I figured it'd be good for water too). Their breeder said that they'd probably be too scared during the trip to actually eat anything or drink any water. I'm thinking of bringing a sheet to toss over the top of the watermelon brooder box that they're going to be traveling in, to cut out the light and hopefully reduce stress, and I'm going to stop at the halfway mark to check on them. Is there anything else I should do?

90 minutes is not that long....they'll be fine. I wouldn't worry about food or water either. Let them get home and settled first. Best to take water and a dish, just in case there is a delay on the way home. Keeping it dark is a good idea.
We brought 4 babies all the way from California to Maryland last summer and twice, we drove over 2 hours to bring back chicks. Never had a problem.

We just brought 8 babies home from Maryland on Sunday. Our 5 hour trip turned into 9 with a camper tire blow-out. The babies did just fine. They got food and water as soon as we got home, but were more interested in sleeping. Yours should be fine for a hour and a half.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom