90% success sexing on pullets true?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Carpe DiHen, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Carpe DiHen

Carpe DiHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    What experience do you all have on getting good results buying sexed chicks?

Three out of six of my sexed chicks are ending up roos, and I'm just wondering what kinda luck other have had.

It's not like tossing coins...that's called getting a straight run!!! [​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Overall, about 85-90 %. Individual purchases, not so good. However, one of the 50 % mis-identifications was made by a breeder from whom I bought TWO chicks. He'd only gotten into breeding less than a year earlier.... All the rest of my chicks came from feed stores, and only ONE cockerel came out of the pullet bins. Then I screwed things up by wanting to add bantams, which the feed stores sell as straight run. Ah well.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've had about 19 hatchery sexed pullets....one was a cockerel, a Lt. Brahma.

4. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I got 3 from MPC, golden laced wyandotte, australorp and buff orp. All were girls.

5. Carpe DiHen

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:Mine were from MPC too (this year)... Do you think they got so busy they hired new staff to sex? [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

MyPetChicken is a drop-shipper, not an actual hatchery, as I understand it. They don't hire any sexers themselves that I'm aware of.

7. Carpe DiHen

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:Yes, that's right, I believe they are drop shipped from Ideal (they have their own area to process there). My two replacement chicks from the local feed store came from Ideal. Oh gosh, good thing I don't gamble...

Edited to correct myself! MPC drop ships from Meyers not Ideal.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I got 4 feed store chicks, 2 were EE's and 2 were Barred Rocks. I had 1 EE cockerel in the bunch, and after reading about them I realized I looked for a smaller, lighter colored chick, which usually can lead to a packing peanut [​IMG] I was happy with my 1:3 ratio though and now have wonderful barred rock and easter egger pullets.

9. AZKat

AZKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2009
    I've got two separate orders from MPC, both of mine came from Ohio, which I think means that they came from Meyer. The 1st order was 15, all of them were pullets. The 2nd order is a month old, and so far no one is looking rooish.

10. Carpe DiHen

Feb 4, 2010
    El Dorado County, CA
    Quote:Ooops, yes, I think Meyer's is the drop shipper for MYC. 15 all pullets for you! Oh, I will pull out of my 401K now... bad odds for me...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by