911 chicken emergency!!! please read

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by larps1234, Jan 17, 2013.

1. larps1234

larps1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    4 week old pullet is throwing up this clear sticky stuff. she is also pooping this clear stuff? she cant seem to control throwing up and pooping. she trys swallowing the throw up and squirts clear poop like a water gun. she poops at normal rates and throws up alot for her size. other than that she looks completly healthy! no signs of drowsiness or being lathargic. i put her in the grass and she plays with her pen mate shchnitzel? please tell m what is happening to her, and how to fix it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Chickens dont throw up. It sounds as though there is a digestion problem possibly a crop issue too. Is she eating and drinking normal? Anything coming from her nose or eyes?

3. larps1234

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    well, i forgot to mention that she doesnt really throw is up, it leaks and when i tip her downwards about a tablespoon comes out. she is drinking ALOT and eating bits and peices here and their. i took her to the grass and she eats the grass and weeds with her pen mate

4. maidenwolfx80

maidenwolfx80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2012
    missouri
    Is her crop huge? Do you notice it being huge all the time? How long has this been going on? Are there any other issues? Be careful tipping her while she has this going on. It can go down into the lungs very easily

5. CoopersCoop

CoopersCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Medina
    Put her up to your ear and see if there is a gurgly/bubbly sound,, if not...... Because of the age of your pullet,, your symptoms sound like Cocci. Go get Corid or Sulmet and give it to her. If you get it to her in time she should be ok.

6. larps1234

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    im not sure excactly how long (she was being chicksittted) . but she in a hatchery chick. no gergally sound.

7. larps1234

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    it isnt huge but both chickens have a tiny bit of air in their crops.

8. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    It sounds like she is consuming more water then she can hold. It is very common for birds to chuck up water in this situation, particularly if their crop is disturbed by being held, or if tipped downwards. The question is why is she drinking so much? What is your temperatures? I've had a few birds actually sicken themselves by drinking too much water during a hot spell.

9. larps1234

Nov 19, 2012
    Miami, Florida
    My Coop
    i live in miami. they are easter eggers so they should be heat tolerant. what happend was that i hatched the pen mate and got this one as her companion. i gave them both to my house keeper who has a big backyard. she said she leaves them outside all day, and at night she puts them in their cage. i am baby sitting the for a week while she is in New York. her pen mate witch is 2 weeks older is completely normal. i noticed that after i indulged her with chick food and mealworms she started pooping normally again. but when i hold her up to my ear i hear her weezing as she breaths. temperature in my house is 75 deg f * and when in my care the stay inside and go out for free ranging an hour a day.

10. CoopersCoop

CoopersCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Medina
    If you hear weezing it could be Mycoplasma which causes air sac disease. You can give Denagaurd for swine to your poultry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by