911:duckling is struggling and cant lift head

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dusky Beauty, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    ive got a 2 week old duck that cant lift her head and under her own power is struggling and flopping all over the place trying to right herself. she was fine an hour ago when i put them out, i got the kids ready for school and one of them found her like that in the yard. shes flipping somersaults trying to get her head up. i suspect one of my larger ducks injured her. is there anything i can do or try to make her more comfortable?or is there no hope? she looks like shes in pain, and i am strongly considering putting her out of it. [Video removed]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I'm sorry I can't get the video. is she a duck that has the pom pom on her head?

3. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    fixed the link, and no, shes a layer hybrid w/ no crest

4. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

Video wont work for me either.

5. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    alright, uploading to photobucket instead. DOES work now. Im making the decision to put her down within 30 minutes.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  6. featherfinder

Thats really sad. I would just hold her and wait a little longer and see what people say. I have seen other threads on the forum with ducks like this and people have come in with ideas. Try to see if you can help her first. I will try to find some of the threads.

7. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    She's not peeping anymore... just rasping (dont see or feel anything stuck in her throat though) She just looks so miserable [​IMG]

8. featherfinder

Is she eating and drinking? Maybe you can go to your feed store and get her Save a Chick to put in her water. try giving her some sugar water to see if she perks up any.

9. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    I'm sorry to say but i think she might have a broken neck, and now that she is not making noise and just rasping i would put her out of her misery. I am such an animal lover and i would never hurt an animal on purpose unless i seen it being hopeless. i watched the movie and started bawling! poor baby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by