911 dying duckling

Sryals

In the Brooder
Oct 11, 2020
I have a Grey call duckling that hatched 4 days ago. It pip the egg but after 24hrs I helped because it was no longer doing anything. When I opened egg I could see duckling was shrink wrapped but did not die because head was out enough to breath. I opened the correct and slow way taking another 24hrs to finish the job with all yoke going into duckling and it getting the shell off itself.

started late last night I noticed only watery poo l watched duckling today. It eats drinks and talks still. Talking is less than normal and not playing with other duckling like it was b4. Now it just sits there trying to cuddle with me or other duckling looking sad. I have not seen any real discharge and not even water discharge now. When I looked at vent it’s very pale white. I pushed a little to see if I could see anything and a little thick white liquid came out. Duckling also has a foul smell around vent area.

can anyone help me?

I have a Grey call duckling that hatched 4 days ago. It pip the egg but after 24hrs I helped because it was no longer doing anything. When I opened egg I could see duckling was shrink wrapped but did not die because head was out enough to breath. I opened the correct and slow way taking another 24hrs to finish the job with all yoke going into duckling and it getting the shell off itself.

started late last night I noticed only watery poo l watched duckling today. It eats drinks and talks still. Talking is less than normal and not playing with other duckling like it was b4. Now it just sits there trying to cuddle with me or other duckling looking sad. I have not seen any real discharge and not even water discharge now. When I looked at vent it’s very pale white. I pushed a little to see if I could see anything and a little thick white liquid came out. Duckling also has a foul smell around vent area.

can anyone help me?
The white liquid is more than likely urine which is a normal excretion if you are pressing around the vent area. A couple questions:

1. How long was it between it being introduced with the other hatchlings and it hatching?

2. Have you started your ducklings on an electrolyte and vitamin supplement?

3. What feed are you using?

4. Do you have a picture of the poop?

5. Is it fully fluffed up from hatching or does it still have sticky/pasted down feathers?

6. When you say fowl smelling do you mean when you pick the duckling up you immediately smell something or was this only when you pressed on the vent?

Welcome to BYC. So sorry to hear about your duckling.

Could you post a few pictures of the duckling, and a few pictures of her navel area? A video may be helpful too. To upload a video, post it on a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.

I would agree, with Casportpony, that a yolk sac infection may be likey. Party due to the smell your noticing, and the circumstances in which the duckling hatched. Baby birds, that hatch prematurely, where their navel area is still exposed are often predisposed to this condition. Since the open area acts as a "gateway" for the bacteria to enter. If there is yolk material still present, this can exacerbate the problem even more, since egg yolk is a prime growing medium for bacteria.

If her navel area is still exposed, I may try applying a small dap of an antibacterial ointment like Neosporin, or something like Iodine. Do note that I said a "small" dab. Ointments are oily, thus can affect the thermoregulatory properties of the feathers, which can subsequently lead to hypothermia.

In addition, to what I suggested above, you can try offering her mashed scrambled eggs, or maybe a soupy feed. Dripping a drop or two of a poultry vitamin, or something like Gatorade may help. Be careful not to give her too much, as birds this age easily aspirate on fluids. Keep her warm, and in a stressful free area.

If we can get some further info on her state of health that suggests more towards a yolk sac infection, you may try starting her an antibiotic. However, much I hate to say it, in most cases, chicks and ducklings this young with yolk sac infections, tend to share a very poor prognosis.

Here is some info,

http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/chick-yolk-sac-infection-omphalitis

https://www.thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/yolk-sac-infection-omphallitis

It did not go around another for two days and I had to find the other because he was my only one to hatch.
Have not done vitamins husband had me give olive oil because we saw baby tried to poop 3 times and nothing came out at all.
Fermented 18% feed with niacin
No poop to take pic of
Baby is all dry and fluffy it’s about 5 days old
I can smell when I pick up baby or when on my shoulder

The white liquid is more than likely urine which is a normal excretion if you are pressing around the vent area. A couple questions:

1. How long was it between it being introduced with the other hatchlings and it hatching?

2. Have you started your ducklings on an electrolyte and vitamin supplement?

3. What feed are you using?

4. Do you have a picture of the poop?

5. Is it fully fluffed up from hatching or does it still have sticky/pasted down feathers?

6. When you say fowl smelling do you mean when you pick the duckling up you immediately smell something or was this only when you pressed on the vent?

It did not go around another for two days and I had to find the other because he was my only one to hatch.
Have not done vitamins husband had me give olive oil because we saw baby tried to poop 3 times and nothing came out at all.
No poop to take pic of

Could you post a few pictures of the duckling, and a few pictures of her navel area? A video may be helpful too. To upload a video, post it on a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here.

I would agree, with Casportpony, that a yolk sac infection may be likey. Party due to the smell your noticing, and the circumstances in which the duckling hatched. Baby birds, that hatch prematurely, where their navel area is still exposed are often predisposed to this condition. Since the open area acts as a "gateway" for the bacteria to enter. If there is yolk material still present, this can exacerbate the problem even more, since egg yolk is a prime growing medium for bacteria.

If her navel area is still exposed, I may try applying a small dap of an antibacterial ointment like Neosporin, or something like Iodine. Do note that I said a "small" dab. Ointments are oily, thus can affect the thermoregulatory properties of the feathers, which can subsequently lead to hypothermia.

In addition, to what I suggested above, you can try offering her mashed scrambled eggs, or maybe a soupy feed. Dripping a drop or two of a poultry vitamin, or something like Gatorade may help. Be careful not to give her too much, as birds this age easily aspirate on fluids. Keep her warm, and in a stressful free area.

If we can get some further info on her state of health that suggests more towards a yolk sac infection, you may try starting her an antibiotic. However, much I hate to say it, in most cases, chicks and ducklings this young with yolk sac infections, tend to share a very poor prognosis.

Here is some info,

Here is some info,

I attached pictures I can’t do video. I think it’s yolk as well do to what I looked up after y’all told me on top of constipated. There is nothing I can really do is there? I can try the ointment, I don’t think baby will be with me in the morning 😭
19546C10-99FA-4FDD-81F8-36E67EDE7D13.jpeg
19546C10-99FA-4FDD-81F8-36E67EDE7D13.jpeg
7300643D-DC93-4187-A272-AE670308FC4D.jpeg
9B40F3EB-EEFE-4413-B838-88D5631DDB38.jpeg

No poop to take pic of
No poop to take pic of
I agree with the others on it sounding like an infection. Issac 0 and casportpony will be the best ones to assist you on what to do next.

Back
Top Bottom