911!!! Help!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Bring, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Duck broke his leg. I don't have $$ for the vet. What do I do??

2. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Quote:What happened? It might just need a splint. Or worse.

3. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    the leg or where the foot and leg come together? We had a duck break its leg and the vet put a pin in the shaft of the leg to stabilize it. He was a show duck and we wanted him as a breeder....only reason we got it fixed, but you should be able to splint it.

4. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    My son was throwing crackers to the ducks and the duck and the dog went after the same cracker. The dog bit the duck. It's broken above his "knee". Tried to splint but not very much leg sticks out above the knee.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I hate to tell you that, but your chances of the healing are very low. Duck legs don't mend that well at all. There is either expensive surgery by the vet, amputation by the vet in the hope that duck learns to deal with, or putting the duck down. In either case a splint is very less likely to work. I wish I had better news. See if you can find a duck rescue organization or a rehabilitator who is willing to work with you. Or better see if a vet is willing to work out some payment arrangement with you. Don't let the duck suffer. The duck also needs some antibiotics for the bite.

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:What happened? It might just need a splint. Or worse.

Unfortunately if you have no means to treat sick or injured animal the best thing to do is to humanely put it down. (No gassing, (CO2) that reminds me Holocaust. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by