911 Pygmy just kidded...twins one born dead, other very small *PICS#21

RickiHupp

Songster
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
Newark, Ohio
Alright guys, another emergency....
My last doe just kidded twins.
The girl was the first out VERY small and weak.
Second out was a boy and he was dead but his body felt all squishy like it wasnt formed all the way.

The doe went full term so I dont understand why these little babies are like this???!!! The baby is so weak and cannot stand, she can barely move. I have milked a little from mom and put it in a syringe and dabbled it into the babies mouth but she seems uninterested. Any advice??

Last edited:
Keep stimulating the baby, rubbing it, talking to it. Warm it up if need be.

How long since it was born? Get some colostrum into it within 6 hrs of birth, if its only just been born give it a little time, if its been 45 - 60 min its time to get some milk into her, you may need to tube it directly into the stomach if necessary.

How is mum? Is she interested in the kid? Is she well in herself, or is she not feeling well, weak or depressed? Had she been ill or off her food leading up to the delivery?

Does the kid have a full hair coat, and teeth?

Did the delivery take quite a long time?

Was the kid covered in yellow fluid when born?

It has been about 2 hours since the baby was born. Momma is very interested in her, I had to bring her inside with me because her mouth is getting cold. I have her wrapped in a warm towel and I am dabbing colostrum in her mouth.

Her mouth has warmed up a bit and she is active, but she has breathed well since birth and been very vocal just soooo tiny and weak. My other doe has triplets and they werent near as small as she is.

She has a full coat and her teeth look normal. She looks like a preemie but she is full term.

I was trying to take her rectal temp but it wont register on my therm. I am sitting with her in front of a heater right now.

Sorry for your loss. It sounds like both of the babies died, and the buckling had water belly. A lot of things can cause the babies to die before they are term, and they can die if they don't get out in time. It sounds like her babies dies a few days before they were born. If the doe was here I would start her on a tetracycline drug for 7-10 days.

NO one baby is alive!!!

No yellow fluid around either babies.

The delivery took about 1.5 hours at the most.

Last edited:
I would worry first about getting her temp up and then feeding her. I had a set of twins born in the snow and it took 3 hours until they were warm enough to eat. Try giving her some Nutri Drench. You could give her a shot of BoSe too.

Last edited:
Hi,
The fastest way to heat the kid up is put it in a sink full of warm water. Id put a plastic bag on it to keep it dry. Also you need to get Cols. in her now! so while your warming her up have someone milk the doe and give it to the baby, she need one oz for every pound.
Good luck.

Awesome! If you have a heating pad, I would put the baby on a towel and then on the heating pad in a laundry basket in between feeding her colostrum. I would also give her BoSE if she was here. I feed new borns every 2 hours around the clock for the first 2 days. Good luck.

You are doing fine; its encouraging that her mouth is warmer and she is a little more active.

Get 3ml of brandy or whiskey into her - will bring her temp up. You also need to get a proper feed of colostrum into her - tubing is the best way for kids like this.

Feeding every two hours round the clock for the first two days is a little overkill
roll.png

You will be fine to feed this little one every four hours. And I know there are people that feed less than this and they come out just fine.

Our premie last year didnt stand for about a week, just lay there and occasionally squeaked. She did fine, just sold her to Malaysia actually.

Back
Top Bottom