911 Raccoon found....Care, advice??? NEW PICS POST#1

RickiHupp

Songster
11 Years
Sep 24, 2008
Newark, Ohio
Ughhhh here we go again!!

A tree fell in our backyard. My husband was cleaning up the branches and found this TINY raccoon. I told him to leave it out there and see if the mom would come ond get him. WELL its been about 3 hours and the baby was still out there screaming so I had to bring it in. I cant stand to think it was out there for that long!!!

So I went and bought some KMR brand milk replacer, got her temp. up and attempted to bottle feed. I know that since the baby is still scared it will be hard at first but is there anyone with some experince and could give me some helpful hints or suggestions?? Thank you in advance!! Oh yes and I have "stimulated" her so that she would use the bathroom
smile.png

PICS PICS PICS!! OMG and you WILL NOT BELIEVE what was in our tree that we had to cut down today!! See Pic below....

16218_059.jpg

Surprise Visitor

16218_063.jpg

Last edited:
I once rescued two little rabbits that my weinerschnappers dug up in my garden. I fed them KMR with a syringe. That might be an option if you can't get it to take a nipple.

Poor baby. We live trap coons and take them to some deep woods miles down the road. I've had them kill my chickens and as bad as DH wants to kill them, he respects my soft heart and instead relocates them.

I would treat it as if it was a kitten that has no mommy, most mammals are the same when they are babies they eat every two hours,poop and cry. I also would search the web for any rescue groups on any of the search websites and see if they can give you advice. Good luck and right on for helping the little one out.
hugs.gif
clap.gif

Please wear gloves when doing anything with it to avoid raccoon roundworm . Do a Google search to see how deadly this is. It is thought by wildlife experts that they all have it now.

They make great pets for people willing to take the time to spend with it. You can probaly get it to take a bottle as soon as it gets used to you. Good luck with it.
smile.png

Have you ever raised a baby raccoon before?

We had one as kids. I remember those little paws can open anything and everything and make a mess when they do
big_smile.png
What are your future plans for the little one? Zoo or petting zoo? or turning back out into the wild?

We 'showed' ours in 4-h and I dont remember what happened to him but I can guess....
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom