911 Raccoon found....Care, advice??? NEW PICS POST#1

In my wildlife rehab we do not do coons so
Best of luck to you I am not going to repeat all the good advice you have gotten thou I am going to add a few
Remember to wash your hands wear gloves and when baby out grows the tub it is in destroy the tub
They carry a very nasty Parasite the only way to destroy it is fire. It can kill other animals and people it is best to be safe!

Quote:
smack.gif
rant.gif

Thank you for saveing the baby , keep her warm , try to get something in her every 3 hours or so , stimulate her to go potty, if youre trying a bottle and it dosnt work try a small syringe. I dont know the laws where you are but helping save a life is always worth it thank you
love.gif

This was in the link provided. I doubt your raccoon is doing either!
smile.png

How do raccoons become infected?
Raccoons become infected in one of two ways:

Young raccoons become infected by eating eggs during foraging, feeding, and grooming.
Adult raccoons acquire the infection by eating rodents, rabbits, and birds infected with the larvae of Baylisascaris.

How fun! I always had wanted a baby racoon to raise when I was a little girl. I remember at one point, my dad looking all over for one for me to raise!

Can't wait to see pictures!

My friend had to bottle feed a baby raccoon--had him for about a month-then he aspirated his formula and got it in his lungs and the poor thing died-it was very sad..All I can say is be careful as their eating-My other friend has a pet coon-they are great if handled well and cared for well..But within a year or so his natural instincts kick in -always do and unfortunately at that time hes so used to humans it's almost his death sentence-He'll be nice to get food then wack you and bite out of no where-what my friend did-as soon as it was warm enough was leave a big crate out side opened-she fed him once a day and let him come and go as hes pleased-fed him less too- after a few months she saw less and less of him as he got brave and found his own food resources and a place to live..Once in a blue moon he pops up and she gets him a yogurt but he never stays and she treats him just like a wild animal never as a pet...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom