911----Superstitious?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by ScoobyRoo, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I sent DH and DD to the store and DD said, "Dad would not buy any milk with the date 9-11 on it. He did that with the bread too, Mom"
    After all, it is a day we will never forget.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2009
  2. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    hm

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    That is an interesting take on that day, but this is the way I, myself, personally view it.

I will always honor and remember those who died that day, but I will never bow to terrorism and allow those who create it to run my life or make decisions for me. So in short, I will never fear that date.

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Not a supersitious person myself, I hope that the bread and milk isn't wasted simply because of the expiration date. Plenty of people in the world would eat it and simply be glad to have something edible to eat and drink.

But, your husband as the consumer has the choice of whether to buy bread or milk with certain numbers on it. [​IMG]

Ask your husband what number would he dial in an emergency? [​IMG]

-Kim

5. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    Many days have tragedies connected with them. December 7th is Pearl Habor Day, for example. If everyone refused to buy food that had dates on which some horrible event had occurred we would probably all go hungry.

I think that the best way to honor the memories of the dead is to light a candle or find some other ritual that has meaning to you.

Your husband has the right to not buy products based on dates, of course. It is nice that he is trying to find a way to remember Septemeber 11th. [​IMG]

6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    gumpsgirl, he does get very emotional about it. He remembers EXACTLY what he was doing when he heard the awful news. So do I, who wouldn't?!? The Oklahoma bombing is another one. Since these were incidents that we are old enough to know about and realize the impact, it is very sad. We do have a nephew in the airforce and we are very supportive of him and the rest of the troops.

Deb1, he would not elaborate on his shopping but you may be right.
    I'm sure he found some milk and bread with a better date. He came home with some but I did not check the date.[​IMG]

You know guys,,some just don't say anything and you can't drag it out of 'em.

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    It's my daughters birthday. The worst is when people say, "ohhhhh, i am so sorry." Crushes her~

8. backdoorchicken

backdoorchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    newport news va
    [​IMG]

9. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    it reminds me of my highschool boyfriend that had this superstition about when the clock read... 1:11 or 11:11... if he saw the clock on those numbers he would hold his breath until it changed... so it was my duty from then on to make him aware of when the clock changed to one of those numbers. neener neener.

10. Laurieks

Laurieks Where did the time go???

Aug 14, 2009
    Sonoma County, CA
    MANY of us have chicks due to hatch that day, so lets make it a GOOD day! We can give them good names to honor our lost heroes.

My birthday is November 5th, and John Lennon's song 'Remember' ends with "Remember, the Fifth, of, November", followed by a loud BANG. I found out it was the day the atom bomb was tested (or one of the days?). I try not to think of that. 911 is probably even harder to forget. [​IMG] for your daughter, SS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by