95 degrees?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by seafood, Mar 6, 2008.

1. seafood

seafood Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Ok…so how crucial is the all important and coveted 95 degree mark?

I set up the brooder last night in the basement. Turned on the 250watt red bulb, lowered it as far down as possible and let it sit for a half hour or so. Came back and checked it and it leveled out at 90 degrees. Will 90 degrees be sufficient for the first two weeks or do I need to make adjustments to get it up to 95*.?

2. trishok8

trishok8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2008
    Scituate
    I'm new at this, but I do think having the brooder at 95 is important. What I did to maintain the heat is cover 3/4 of the top of my brooder ( a big box) with a polar fleece blanket.

Then as I had to drop the temp, I just kept moving the blanket back exposing more of the brooder.

This made it easier than raising and lowering the light.

It's been pretty efficient and accurate as well.

Hopefully this helps.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  3. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    In my brooder i have got a side that from 90 to 95 and a cool side that 75 to 80. One of my friend told me that 95 was to hot. He said 85 to 90 so I just went with the cool side idea. I took my light about an hour to get to the right tempature, I got tried of having to keep raising in lowering it. [​IMG]

4. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    It needs to be 95 for the first week after each week you can drop the temp down by 5 degrees. If it fluctuates a degree or two it is not to bad but you need to get to 95 as best as you can. Also make sure it is not to close to the ground because if they get to close to the bulb they can burn themselves as I found that out once.

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    watch what the chicks do, if they all huddle under the light it needs to be warmer, if they stay outside of the direct light it can be cooler, 95 is a starting point. Chicks will self regulate thier temp, it is important to have enough room for the chicks to get out of the full heat if they need to. The Ideal situation of having part at 95 then gradually lower is best. then as you lower the HIGH temp area the other areas temp will lower also.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:That's what I do... I watch how they move. Also, one good thing to do on the first few nights is to check them at like 3 am where the house will be the coolest. If they are comfortable then, you are good to go, if they huddle, up the temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by