????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickalicia, Mar 18, 2015.

1. chickalicia

chickalicia Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I found a chick dead inside the chick coop this morning. They have fresh water food and clean coop. I check on them for any kind of diff in them everyday. And this morning there is a dead chick I mean it was like he was attacked. My kids are upset and I don't know what happened. All was good last night when I checked in them No predators. I know that. The coop is inside the main coop.

2. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    So if I understand right you are brooding chicks inside your main coop that has full sized birds in it and one of the baby chicks is dead this morning.

OK....more information would help. How are you brooding them in the main coop. Can the full sized birds get to them? How old are they? Do they have a mamma hen? Are they all the same age? What makes you think it was attacked?

If it died in the night the other chicks will not treat it with respect in the morning. So if it died of natural causes the body can be pretty trampled when you find it.

3. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    I have a main coop. Inside that main coop is another coop. Heat lamp food etc seperate from main coop. The only thing inside the chick part are chicks. And there was the dead chick. Nothing can get inside the chick coop.

4. chick124

chick124 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2015
    It could be that your chick got too cold.what is your watt on your heat lamp

5. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    When I found it it was sprawled out. I don't have a broody with them. Had to take her out cuz she was pecking at them. I have diff ages from two to three weeks. The hen pecking at them she would peck and pick em up and fling them in the air. She was good and bad at same time. They have been in their own cage for over week now or more. They all get along with occasionally a pecking order thing or get away from my treat I found. ;))

6. chick124

Mar 13, 2015
    Here is what i would suggest i would make a separate brooder with 2 100 watt bulb so that way your chicks would be better off outside of the main coop

7. chick124

Mar 13, 2015
    I would take that hen out!

8. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    250 watt infrared

9. Odelia

Odelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2014
    Idaho
    Again I am not sure I understand. Other than it was dead what makes you think it was attacked?

10. chickalicia

Jan 14, 2015
    Bakersfield ca
    When u look inside and see your dead chick with its wings and legs sprawled out and feathers ruffled. What conclusion would you come up with

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by