7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
I am doing a project ~ I am going to hatch
Chicken (various breeds)
Pheasant
Duck
Goose
At this temp
Monitor development and see hatch rate & time frame of incubation!

Last year I set mine at 100 everything went fine, but I ended up with lots of roo's. Im going to try lower temps this year just for kicks to see if I get more hens. ( I know thats more than likely not the case but hey can't hurt to try)
Excited to see your results
pop.gif

I am hatching EMU eggs, & they run at 97.5. So during this I have already set chicken, and duck. No hatches yet but should soon.
I am planning all chicks to see male vs female...

Last year I set mine at 100 everything went fine, but I ended up with lots of roo's. Im going to try lower temps this year just for kicks to see if I get more hens. ( I know thats more than likely not the case but hey can't hurt to try)
pop.gif
I ran my bator for 1 year straight at 99.5 degrees with amazing hatch rates

I set 4 of my own chicken eggs ~ I have 3 developing.
I set 2 of my duck eggs,
and another 13 eggs from a shipped source.
Out of the shipped I have 3 breeds
& 8 out of 9 going strong,
and 3 out of 3 going strong &
3 out of 3 were infertiles.

So pretty good success rate for hatched shipped eggs. We will see comparison of temps & sex

Last edited:
I wish it was warmer where I am. I want fuzzy butts lol. And all this chick talk is making me want to start NOW. Im going to try sexing my chicks this year as well. Fingers crossed that my birds can be feather sexed.

pop.gif

Sex isn't determined through incubation like many reptiles. Sex is determined by the chromosomes of the ovum, so incubation temperature won't make a difference.

I ran 100* on my hatch as I had read somewhere this would hatch more girls, then I read this will hatch more boys (about half way through).
The Hatch I got is about 80% male. Temp will not change or determine the sex, but it certainly appears (at this point) that higher temps produce more living males then females. My next hatch I will run 99* to see IF I can get more living females than males! Of the 14 that hatched I see 9 or 10 roo's

I would like to here from more folks that are trying this, and I will be setting another clutch in about a month. Run this batch at 99* and see how many of what I get!

Good luck to all!

I will keep track of males and females of my Chickens and ducks

I set Chickens on the
Set Dec. 27
half Hatch Jan 19
half pipped today Jan 20
And a few not even pipped

~~~

2 duck & 3 chicken
Set Jan 30

~~~
12 Duck * Cayuga & Runner
Jan 18

~~~
I have
love.gif

2 Emu Set Dec 28th
2 Emu Set Jan 5th
3 Emu Set Jan 19
~~~

Hope to have 6-10 more next week to set
th.gif

(Looking to set Some Ohikis & Brahmas soon)

Back
Top Bottom