97% Accurate Sexing...what a joke!

h0m3gr0wn

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 12, 2012
61
0
39
I thought I would come on here and look for people that have been through this too! We bought 5 'pullets' from a pet store that boasts 97% accurate sexing on their chicks. So far we have determined (and eaten) 2 of the 5. This morning it started to get pretty loud in the 'hen' house and sounded like attempted crowing. My husband and I are at a loss...what are the odds that we got the 3%!!!!!!!!!!! Anywho, anyone had this happen? We are just going to buy some laying hens soon, haha, I want more than 2 chickens.
 

oldrooster

One Crazy Nut
9 Years
Feb 19, 2012
4,280
4,162
417
monroe county indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I thought I would come on here and look for people that have been through this too! We bought 5 'pullets' from a pet store that boasts 97% accurate sexing on their chicks. So far we have determined (and eaten) 2 of the 5. This morning it started to get pretty loud in the 'hen' house and sounded like attempted crowing. My husband and I are at a loss...what are the odds that we got the 3%!!!!!!!!!!! Anywho, anyone had this happen? We are just going to buy some laying hens soon, haha, I want more than 2 chickens.

so you have(had) 3 roosters out of 5 that's 60% roosters. not 97%, even so most hatcheries (at least the big ones claim 90% accuracy) but at a small number 1 maybe 2 roosters is expected out of 5 so I believe either someone may have went into the store known how to sex (or had a clue how to make a informed guess) and pulled out pullets. If the store got 50 and someone got 20-30 birds and knew how to sex them they may have left 20 birds and if they got all pullets that would leave 1.5 roosters, and as I said the big hatcheries claim 90% so I would guess that's a closer percentage and that would mean 5 roosters out of 20 birds.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom