97 over night. . .

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cici_p, Apr 22, 2009.

1. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Last night my incubator dropped in temperature. I'm not sure why, because it has held completely steady through my last hatch and the first two and a half weeks of this one. . .
    The eggs were at 97 over night.[​IMG]
    I'm sure they're going to be fine, but I am still freaking out.
    They are duck and goose eggs, all developing and I have less than 2 weeks to go.
    They will be fine, right? [​IMG]

2. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    They should be fine...., if it was a spike of a couple degrees, I'd be a bit more worried. Post pics of your successful hatch!

3. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Ugh, I am so frustrated.
    I still can't figure out why it dropped or how to safely get it back up to temp.
    Right now I have a double layer of blankets over it and it is only at 99 (It usually is at 100.5-101 in order to keep my water wiggler where it should be).
    My water wiggler broke yesterday so I don't have any good way of knowing what the egg temps are doing.
    I am afraid that when the outside temperature goes up today and the room gets warm it is going to rebound and then spike.
    And I have to leave for work right now.
    I feel like crying [​IMG]
    It is crazy how attached we get to these little eggs.
    But they are 14 lives counting on me right now.

4. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    I'd bet that your right and if the room temp raises so will your bator temp. I'd say to leave maybe half the blanket off until you get home. You'll be in better shape if it were a hair lower in temp than if you came home and it spiked too high! Just a thought.

5. cici_p

Feb 27, 2009
    Well, I had my husband check on it during the day and the temp was fine. When I came home today it was a little high--but only 101.5, and it usually needs to get to 100.5 to get the water wiggler temp high enough.
    I figured out what the problem was--hubby turned off the furnace in our house without consulting me! Hence, dropping temperatures over night. [​IMG]
    At least we can fix the problem now.

6. backpack09

backpack09 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2009
    Whitman, MA
    97 is fine. Bulb went out sunday morning (day 17) and I did not notice it till 3:00 the temp had dropped into the 70s. I refilled the water buckets with boiling water and replaced the bulb. It still took till bedtime to get back up to temp.

Today we had 3 hatchers already.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  7. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    lower temps are WAAAAAAAAY better than high temps. If it were less than 95 I would be concerned, but 97 is FINE...good luck and happy hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by