98% finished Muscovy duck house PIC's

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by keeperofthehearth, Apr 28, 2009.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

I just love our nearly complete Muscovy House. We used all recycled materials (i.e. pallets, storm door etc.) or materials we had around the place already except for the hinges and latch for the pop door. We still want to put in 2 roosting shelves since there is limited floor space. We built for night time and broody use and don't expect to winter more than 5 Muscovies. We plan on free ranging our Muscovies but will put in a temp. net fence for a week or so until they get use to their new quarters and our soon to hatch ducklings are a bit bigger.

Humble beginnings
    [​IMG]
    A work in progress
    [​IMG]
    And tah, dah ...... Almost finished. Just a little tweeking here and there. We will place some logs around for roosting outside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I replaced the screen in the storm door w/ 1/4 hardware cloth as well as in the back window. I have chicken wire stapled along the bottom edge to discourage the ducks fm nesting under the house & other critters fm hanging out under there. Our kitten had gotten used to running under the house while it was going up and ran into the wire three times yesterday wondering why she couldn't get under there. [​IMG] The lighting made it difficult to see. I will also put up a "Muscovy House" sign I am making. We hope to get the Scovies settled into their new quarters as soon as the ducklings are hatched out this coming weekend.

2. Its totally AWESOME !!! You done a great job , i just love it . [​IMG]

3. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    That looks wonderful!!!! [​IMG]

4. maggiemmm

maggiemmm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Kewadin area
    What are the dimensions of your Muskovy house? do you have pictures of the inside? My husband is making me a new duckie house and I want it to be used by the Muskovies. I only have three ducks but Fifi is nesting on 9 eggs... do not know if any will hatch but I want a house that all will be comfy in . Thanks

5. dcouette

dcouette Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    Dryden, ON
    Wow, this is fantastic!

6. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    That's awesome! [​IMG]

7. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

TKS! Well, I don't have any pic's of the interior but I can tell you that my Scovies love the duck house. The interior flat floor space is approx. 4' X 6'. Scovies are very territorial esp. when broody & if I were to build another duck house I would double the floor space or even triple it. We ended up buying and setting up a shed to use that is 7' X 10' along with the duck house and sometimes I still feel we don't have enough room. [​IMG]
    The 7'X10' shed was supposed to be the grow out house for the Scovies but has ended up being a all purpose home for them esp. during the winter mo. when I reduce my flock down to 7-10 ducks. I generally have 1-2 ducks brooding in the Scovy house while another 2-3 brood inside the shed.

What I do like about the duck house is it's visual appeal as well as how much drier it stays (wood) vs the shed (resin).

8. eggfinder12

eggfinder12 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Spring Hill , TN
    I must have missed the photo of the house. Would you be able to repost it? I know this is an older blog....but I would love to see it. thanks. V

9. maggiemmm

maggiemmm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2010
    Kewadin area
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. eggfinder12

eggfinder12 Out Of The Brooder