99 Chicks are 3 days old, and have brooder questions please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rnmommy7, Dec 14, 2012.

1. rnmommy7

rnmommy7 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    I am concerned about their feet. My brooder is 5 levels and has a wire bottom. The wire forms about 1/2 inch square pattern. It seems pretty rough to me. When I put them in the brooder yesterday I put them all on burlap. I laid the burlap over the wire, but now the burlap is all poo pooed on. I don't want them walking around in poop right? WIll that hurt them? I don't have any more burlap, I could take it our and wash it or is it ok for them to be on wire.

2. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I dont think I would put them on just wire. Do you have some newspaper laying around? If so I think I would lay newspaper down until you get the burlap cleaned up

3. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

newspaper could cause splayed legs, and crooked toes. what about straw? it wouldn't fall through very easily.

4. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    splayed legs and crooked toes in a couple of hours?

5. salt and pepper

now that I'm not sure about. I'm not sure how long it takes to happen, maybe paper towels? they are more absorbent than newspaper too.

6. rnmommy7

rnmommy7 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2012
    I took out the burlap. it was filthy. i change their water out every few hours. they don't seem to mind the wire floor. I put a length of paper towel in each level to have something to sprinkle food on. They sure loved that gro-gel that came with the shipment, I wonder how to make it.

7. salt and pepper

good luck with your chicks!!

8. gg706

Jul 5, 2011
    They will be ok I believe with the wire floor if you have no other choice. I would just get the burlap back in as soon as I could. You are doing great! Keep up the good work and taking good care of your chicks! [​IMG]

9. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    The feed store where I bought our chicks had them in a brooder with wire floors that sound similar to what
    you are describing:>

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Believe me you don't want to leave them on the burlap without a product like shavings over it.

Once I used plywood in a grow-out coop that was very difficult to reach into. I didn't want to throw shavings in there because I was worried they would fall through. So I used small squares of plywood and no bedding, figuring I'd scrape the plywood off.
    Within a couple of days the chicks had poo stuck to their feet to the point that they were having trouble walking and it had dried. I gave them a foot soak, they piled up in the wash basin and I lost a few to drowning.
    Oh I was so sad and to this day will only bathe one chick at a time if needed.

So I recommend some bedding! You can use cardboard with pine shavings on top- I have a concern though that you don't create a fire hazard with your brooder if shavings fall through. If so, truly I'd just leave them on the wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by