9am to 9pm should i step in and help alittle chick?

silkieboxerluv

Songster
11 Years
Mar 28, 2008
His beak is out and hes chirping. Just not alot of progress since this morning. What should I or shouldnt I do?

when mine go that long with no progress i help lil by chiping the shell away small pices at a time but if it starts to bleed put a worm cloth on it and stop for a few hours and start again i keep doing this til the chick is out when mine seem to have a had time

It will bleed because the blood vessels/veining and yolk sac have not fully been absorbed yet....Wait 22 to 24 hours from pipping to zipping out....

Hmm ok. I must read some more!
hmm.png

I helped two out at my last hatch.

The membranes were dried and the chick couldn't do anything to get out.

If you can see in without opening - check the membrane if you can see it - doe sit look dry? whats your humidity?

My first move if the membrane is dry would be to up that humidity - I had a warm bowl of water handy and lots of paper-towels folded up into long pieces....
I took the egg out, onto a warm wet papertowel in my hand and picked off a couple of pieces of shell, try not to nick the membrane as thats when you'll get bleeding if you're too early - once you've picked off a few pieces - if you can ZIP the shell for the chick that might help as well. I put the egg back for an hour or so, with the paper towel still wrapped around it.

Make sure you UP that room temp as high as you can - I had a space heater next to me all the time - on HIGH (an oil heater if it makes a difference)

Every couple of hours I would remove the egg, and take off another few pieces of shell - you can SEE through the membrane and see if there is blood, if you see blood - wrap the egg and put it back for a few more hours.

Its a very long drawn out process. Each chick I helped out took me an entire day.

Back
Top Bottom