9wk old white wyandotte/rock hen or rooster??? MORE PIX

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LuckyFarrell, May 4, 2011.

1. LuckyFarrell

LuckyFarrell Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Plymouth, MA
    Just picked up this pullet? yesterday. In all my excitement, didn't notice how large the comb was. Help, pullet or cockeral???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    thanks,
    adam

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  2. M@M@2four

M@M@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Looks like a pullet to me, but Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, not single combs.

**Edited for typo! [​IMG]**

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  3. thats defintily a roo, notice the spur growth. looks just like one of my roosters when he was little

4. oh, by the way, Wyandottes are supposed to have rosecombs (there are some with defects of a single comb, but it isn't too common) could just be a white plymouth rock

5. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    M@M@2four :

Looks like a pullet to me, but Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, not single combs.

**Edited for typo! [​IMG]**

Yes, they are supposed to have rose combs, but my last batch of wyandottes were about 50/50. They were also very hard to tell if they were pullets or cockerals. I'd guess pullet with your photos, but a body shot might be helpful as well.​

6. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    Quote:dont let the nub fool you, I have a few hens with nubbins like that. the way I sort out hens vs roo's is to compare feathers, if the neck feathers are real stringy and long = roo same can be said for the feathers right infront of the tail. now if the nubbins grow bigger then another roo sign.

7. LuckyFarrell

Jan 6, 2009
    Plymouth, MA
    thanks everybody, I'll try to get a full body shot b4 work!!!

8. LuckyFarrell

Jan 6, 2009
    Plymouth, MA
    here are a couple whole body shots

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks for your help

9. LuckyFarrell

Jan 6, 2009
    Plymouth, MA
    The guy I bought her from said she was a wyandotte, but the more pix I look at online the more he/she looks like a white rock.

10. M@M@2four

M@M@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Quote:She actually looks like a wyandotte(atleast her wattles and body)--single comb does happen in wyandottes, but they should be rose combed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by