9yr old laying rhoad island red hen eyes swollen closed. tail hang low

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by aleta hungarian, Sep 10, 2011.

1. aleta hungarian

aleta hungarian New Egg

Sep 10, 2011
    could be reaction from mites maybe?Need to know how to treat the eyes.she cant see to get around or protect herself. all hens friendly with each other..thanks much.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. Ogress

Ogress Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North Bend, WA
    My Coop
    Wow! 9 years and still gives you eggs? I don't think most hens live that long.

I use Eprinex on my birds twice per year - between that and DE, the mites appear to be under control. I don't know about the eyes.

Good luck!

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    9 years old and laying! Her eyes are tired!

Seriously though, sounds like she needs some triple antibiotic ointment.

4. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    If her eyes are swollen I think it's some type of sinus infection or respiratory (coryza)? I think Sulmet and or antibiotics? Anyway, it wouldn't hurt to act as if. I for one would like to see the old girl make it! Anyone else?

5. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
  6. aleta hungarian

aleta hungarian New Egg

Sep 10, 2011
    aleta hungarian here,under "new egg" somehow. THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE REPLYS. YOU GUYS ARE SUPER. Her eyes are swollen and one still shut. no discoloration or drainage from eyes or beak. gave antibiotics in water for all hens, washed her eyes with plain water, will do antibiotic ointment tomorrow, (ok on eyes yes?) gave water soaked cat food, gave smashed apples with apple cider vinegar in seperated bowls and sprinkeled on poultry powder on most of birds and lots on sickie rhoad island red, and spread DEarth everywhere they dust bath, on roosts, on floor of hen house. should have been doing that more often, and i am ashamed i didnt. will take all other advice to paper copies & search terms and products i do not understand. Thanks again folks, and will watch other hens closely. You all have some really serious issues with hens, lots of luck and cool weather will help some too. Best Wishes.

7. Mavrik

Mavrik Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Do not put antibiotic ointment in the eyes, says not to on the label.

8. aleta hungarian

aleta hungarian New Egg

Sep 10, 2011
    aleta hungarian here and also under New Egg. (somehow.)Need to correct statement i made about old 9year "laying hen" no she wasnt still laying eggs, her beek was all the way brown, i meant her purpose was a layer, not a meat chicken, meant she was, yes was, a laying breed, sort of a double breed really, ok for meat too. She did pass away thurday night, she did rally some, was still eating when she could find food, gave her cooked rice and she loved it. last i saw her alive. i mourn for her, the last of the rhoad island red batch. Thanks again for all advise, i will use it again, darn it, but will remember the advice. Good luck to all of you. aleta.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by