a 13 month old hen died today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by toolate, Feb 29, 2012.

1. toolate

toolate New Egg

Feb 29, 2012
    She had stopped laying and lost many feathers from about 8 weeks ago after being a pretty good layer.
    My wife and I naievely assumed she was molting. Her appetite decreased a bit and she was somewhat less active, but she still ate OK and moved around ok.
    This morning she died.
    A person at our local feed store told us she might well have had an egg stuck inside of her, causing her to stop laying and then to die.
    Needless to say we feel awful. Awful that we didnt know to check for this, and to not ask someone who did.

2. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    I, too, had a seemingly healthy chicken die like that last year. I posted here for answers and got lots of theories, then someone whose title was something like "old guy with chickens" posted that after many years raising chickens, he had determined that the 2 things chickens do best are poop and die. doesn't really answer the why question, but it soothes the hurt that maybe it was something I did wrong. Another one of mine died this year, she was fine when I locked them up one nite, the next morning cold and stiff. All the others are healthy and laying . Go figure?
    mrkep

3. joejoejoejoe123

joejoejoejoe123 New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    how do you remove a stuck egg? is it something a vet has to do?

4. joejoejoejoe123

joejoejoejoe123 New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    and sorry for your loss.

5. peepmommy

peepmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    There is really only one way to remove an egg from an eggbound hen. You have to take a syringe, put the needle right through her body wall into the egg and suck the contents of the egg out. Then she can pass the shell. Unless you know what you are doing, you should take the hen to a vet to do this. I have been a tech for a number of years and have seen this a lot. Some people think you can crush the egg by squeezing it, but unless it has already ruptured, this is almost impossible to do. Chickens can get impacted as well. Someone was just on here with an impacted chicken that ate too much grit. She is still alive, but he is watching her closely. I am sorry to hear this, but keep in mind, we are all learning, everyday. Next time maybe you will recognize it sooner, in time to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by