1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

a 4 in one guessing game

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 5.30am, Aug 19, 2011.

1. 5.30am

5.30am New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    Hi folks. Below are photos of my flock (if 4 is indeed a flock). I have little to no idea what they are and would appreciate any help i could get.

No1 is Gizmo. If you cant see from the pictures he has 5 toes and is fluffy not feathered. My guess would be a Silkie of some kind from what i have learned online.
    [​IMG]

No 2 is Chuck. Also 5 toed and most definitely a cockerel. Quite a nippy wee guy.....no idea what he is though he started off your classic fluffy yellow chick.
    [​IMG]

No 3 is Steve. Ive been told he is a Black Maran and was jet black when a chick. Hes also definitely a Cockerel, Quite docile but the boss of the run.
    [​IMG]

No 4 is The Wee Guy. Only has 4 toes and was identical to Steve (above) when a chick though obviously not so much now. Hes a fair bit smaller than the rest and more like a silkie (though without the 5 toes). Quite possibly the only female we have.
    [​IMG]

Much obliged for any help.

2. punky rooster

punky rooster Awesome

Jul 21, 2010
    They all look like mixes, and I believe the first and last ones to have Silkie in them.
    Mitch

3. 5.30am

5.30am New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    they are all 17-19 weeks old. Bought the chicks from a pet shop who i think only had a sideline in chickens.

best guess is that the 2 that look like marans have maran with a hint of silke (hence maran looks but 5 toes) and vice versa for other 2.

Next question are either of the "silkies" female for sure?

would i be better with all boys? none of them fight......yet.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    All my roosters get along fine for the most part but they were raised together, Their is a little tention between Zues and Oliver but never a true knock down drag out fight just a peck on the butt or a kick when oliver is trying to court the girls to remind Oliver that Zues is head honcho in the pen other than that they're great.

5. 5.30am

5.30am New Egg

Aug 7, 2011
    These guys were raised really closely together, in fact even now they have the run of my garden they still wont venture more than a foot from each other. theyre like a pack of wee mini raptors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by