A 5 Year Update: Do's and Don'ts

meowloud

Songster
7 Years
Apr 6, 2016
Cleveland, Tennessee
Ahhhh 5 years! How time flies (chicken pun intended)! 😸
On our 2nd flock, after our 1st flock was inherited with the property and unfortunately failed. I say failed because it was probably a semi-adequate set-up for their situation, however, they had 8 children and dumped a LOT of leftovers and fed the entire population of red and black foxes for miles! When I cut-off their food supply, they became foxy and got to the few chickens we had been left to care for. Even having them for several months, they were so FUN to watch and care for and we knew we wanted MORE!

First things first, SECURITY! Entire re-do of the run. No plastic netting as a top! 4x4s and hardware cloth. These predators will try ANYTHING because everyone loves chicken in one way or another!

BIRDS! Started small. Started with 7 chicks from TSC. Picked 5 pullets (2 lav orpington, 2 Barnevelder, 1 cochin). Picked 2 unsexed for the hopes of a rooster. ALL 7 were female! Last 2 were Belgium D'uccle Buff and a tiny, black, ugly-Beautiful-to-us scrawny girl. Only had to 'end suffering' of 1 Barnevelder after she couldn't recuperate after sour crop at 1 year old.

ADVICE: Advice is a funny word, as I've only been a chicken person now 5 years and there are others with exponential years/knowledge... but from a nobody, I can say my biggest words of wisdom would be:
1. If eating eggs, go organic if possible. You are what you eat. Avoid the chinese worms since they are fed Styrofoam. I lost 2 cats years ago to the chinese melamine scandal (Brand of cat food: Nutro Natural Choice)!!
2. Straw has no business in a chicken coop! 1 of our lavender orps got stabbed by a straw barb when jumping down from nesting box! Go pine chip or sand!
3. If pets, try a variety of food when they are older chicks, perhaps off heat. Mine are picky and I wish they would try more things. Yogurt is great and the "2Good" brand has very low sugar and no added sugar! Yogurt is great, but there is SO MUCH added sugar! You may want to look too if you personally eat yogurt! The Jamie Lee Curtis brand is insanely high with sugar!
4. Always have an electrolyte packet, stop bleed, and if a small coup, perhaps 'no pick' ointment. I have not had to use any of those, but feel better with it on-hand.
5. If you worry about your birds, I did a small purchase of the Bl!nk cameras from Amazon. You can watch in real-time, record, have motion alerts, etc for $75!!! I've caught a black bear, 2 bobcats, pack of coyotes, red fox, black fox, opossum, raccoon, and a 'New-York' rat, etc. on camera trying to 'get-in'!!! Plus it's nice to sit at the store waiting in line to watch and hear your girls chickening about! I don't know about you but it lowers my blood pressure to watch, also to know that if something gets in, the alarm on my phone blows up at any time!

Well, that's long enough rambling. Thank you for reading and good luck!
-Jen

Hi! Just to clarify, their Coup is an 8 x 10 solid wood shed. Originally, no coup door with the plastic fence top.
Also, I did not realize until later what the result would be with THAT MUCH FOOD outside our 2'nd story deck. The wildlife had that for 8 years consistently, and I was oblivious since always living in the city. I have tried to return with natural, healthy alternatives to support/not attract over time. Hard lesson to learn the balance of nature.
Always a good lesson: When buying a home, land, property... listen to it. See what the status quo is and try to balance. I forgot to include this sad lesson to me earlier!
-Jen

Back
Top Bottom